Monday, September 8, 2008

Mmm Chocolate


I have never had a sweet tooth. I've always preferred salty snacks to sweets. This all changed with my pregnancy with Izzy. I drank a gallon of sweet iced tea a day and baked (and ate) batch after batch of cinnamon buns.

Even then I still would not touch cake. Then one fateful day a friend came over for supper and brought with her a beautiful chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I thought "blech cake" but had a bite because that is the polite thing to do. Well that led me to shoveling bite after glorious bite of chocolatey goodness into my mouth.

I was hooked so of course I had to try and make one myself.

I found a great sheet cake recipe over at Allrecipes. The only changes I made was switching from all purpose flour to cake flour and substituting apple sauce for the oil. You could make this in two round cake pans or make the sheet cake, and cut it in half. In between the two layers I put one can of cherry pie filling. The whole thing is topped with chocolate ganache.

To make ganache, bring 8oz of heavy cream (35%) to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over 9oz of chocolate chips/pieces. Stir until melted. Let cool for 5-10 mins and then pour/spread over the cake. Place in the fridge to harden.

Decorate as you wish or devour as is.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm.. looking at that picture has made me decide what I am having for breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete