This is the corner of the driveway where the side door is. Limey put up a trellis here to hide the garbage bins. We originally planted sweet peas and lilies bulbs but they never came up so we bought some lilies (as plants) and planted them in along with some mums and climbing nasturtiums.
Here's a closeup of the pink lily we put there. It's called Asiatic Kiss.
We moved some of our orange lilies to this strip along the driveway. Again I also planted sweet peas here but they didn't come up. My second batch which I presprouted in a tupperware container with a wet paper towel worked better but I ended up planting them elsewhere. You can see my dwarf delphiniums "Magic Fountain Mix" sticking up over the fence.
The finished window boxes planted with Vesey's evening glow mix impatiens. I was surprised at how easy they were to start from seed. They are definitely not the same colour as the ad picture I posted earlier in the year.
My gorgeous rugosa robusta. I hides the gas meter nicely.
Nasturtiums started from seed. The pot were originally planted with zinnias but they died not long after. We restained the porch and moved the chair out back after these photos were taken.
A fuchsia we purchased today. It was too pretty to pass up.
Another gorgeous fuchsia. I'm going to attempt to propagate them later in the season.
Some more orange lilies. These are under the picture window.
These delphinium were transferred from the back yard. They came with the house and are in various shades of blue. We put them here to block out the view of the neighbour's driveway.
The plant on the bottom left is a weed (I think) but I'm waiting for it to flower before I decide whether or not to pull it. There are coneflowers to the back and I am pleased to report that my lavender survived the winter and is growing nicely. I am sad to report that the foxglove that was here last year didn't give birth to any babies :(
I'm not fond of inanimate objects in the garden but I fell in love with this birdbath the moment I saw it. If only the birds loved it as much!
There's the arbor. There is a John Davis rose planted there but it's barely growing. I think the poppies and lilies are shading it out. Will have to switch things up there. The daffodils on the right have to move as well. I don't like them there. The two beds to the bottom are filled with excess food plants which I regret doing because now I'm on a plant buying binge and I need more space.
As you can see I removed most of the black plastic edging and put in these rounds from a tree we cut down. I like it a lot better and when I can bothered I'll finish the job. Also on the to do list is to finish the path but we're waiting for broken patio stones which aren't easy to come buy apparently.
Glads to the right. More perennials to the left.
Monster bee balm under the window. I started hollyhocks, foxglove and bellis for the bottom bed. There are also two peonies just coming up that I planted in the spring.
The herb bed. Almost everything here I started from seed.
Jacob's ladder which seems to be the big bee attractor so far.
That's it for now. It's definitely a work in progress and much more enjoyable than the lawn was.