Saturday, July 4, 2009

The front garden July 2009

This is the corner of the driveway where the side door is. Limey put up a trellis here to hide the garbage bins. We originally planted sweet peas and lilies bulbs but they never came up so we bought some lilies (as plants) and planted them in along with some mums and climbing nasturtiums.

Photobucket

Here's a closeup of the pink lily we put there. It's called Asiatic Kiss.

Photobucket

We moved some of our orange lilies to this strip along the driveway. Again I also planted sweet peas here but they didn't come up. My second batch which I presprouted in a tupperware container with a wet paper towel worked better but I ended up planting them elsewhere. You can see my dwarf delphiniums "Magic Fountain Mix" sticking up over the fence.

Photobucket

The finished window boxes planted with Vesey's evening glow mix impatiens. I was surprised at how easy they were to start from seed. They are definitely not the same colour as the ad picture I posted earlier in the year.

Photobucket

My gorgeous rugosa robusta. I hides the gas meter nicely.

Photobucket

Nasturtiums started from seed. The pot were originally planted with zinnias but they died not long after. We restained the porch and moved the chair out back after these photos were taken.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A fuchsia we purchased today. It was too pretty to pass up.

Photobucket

Another gorgeous fuchsia. I'm going to attempt to propagate them later in the season.

Photobucket

Some more orange lilies. These are under the picture window.

Photobucket

These delphinium were transferred from the back yard. They came with the house and are in various shades of blue. We put them here to block out the view of the neighbour's driveway.

Photobucket

The plant on the bottom left is a weed (I think) but I'm waiting for it to flower before I decide whether or not to pull it. There are coneflowers to the back and I am pleased to report that my lavender survived the winter and is growing nicely. I am sad to report that the foxglove that was here last year didn't give birth to any babies :(

Photobucket

I'm not fond of inanimate objects in the garden but I fell in love with this birdbath the moment I saw it. If only the birds loved it as much!

Photobucket

There's the arbor. There is a John Davis rose planted there but it's barely growing. I think the poppies and lilies are shading it out. Will have to switch things up there. The daffodils on the right have to move as well. I don't like them there. The two beds to the bottom are filled with excess food plants which I regret doing because now I'm on a plant buying binge and I need more space.

Photobucket

As you can see I removed most of the black plastic edging and put in these rounds from a tree we cut down. I like it a lot better and when I can bothered I'll finish the job. Also on the to do list is to finish the path but we're waiting for broken patio stones which aren't easy to come buy apparently.

Glads to the right. More perennials to the left.

Photobucket

Monster bee balm under the window. I started hollyhocks, foxglove and bellis for the bottom bed. There are also two peonies just coming up that I planted in the spring.

Photobucket

The herb bed. Almost everything here I started from seed.

Photobucket

Jacob's ladder which seems to be the big bee attractor so far.

Photobucket

That's it for now. It's definitely a work in progress and much more enjoyable than the lawn was.

25 comments:

  1. Well, look at you! If it weren't for the Lilac Tree, I wouldn't be sure it was the same place!

    Love the herb bed, you did great. Lots of hard work shows.

    I didn't see any children peeking out, hope they're doing fine.

    Nell (foxesearth on GW)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love what you have done with your place. It looks so different from the first pictures you posted. Next year your gardens will be even lovelier as they fill in and go into their second year. You are having fun, loving what you are doing and it shows. That bird bath is so cute.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids are great, growing like weeds!

    I can't wait until next year, to see things fill in. There are already plants that need moving around. I guess there's always something to tweak in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.

    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    Here is my page - www.dirrebreather.com
    my website > home improvement show

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Bless you!

    my site - oil furnace repair troubleshooting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures
    aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

    My weblog furnace problems

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi just came upon your website via Google after I typed in, "Blogger: Little Homestead in the Valley" or something similar (can't quite remember exactly). In any case, I'm glad I found it simply because your content is exactly what I'm looking for (writing a university paper) and I hope you don't mind
    if I gather some material from here and I will of course
    credit you as the reference. Thank you so much.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage; Fort Worth furnace repair affordable

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Many thanks

    Feel free to surf to my webpage: handyman Home repairs
    my page :: diy home Remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy! I just noticed your site: Blogger: Little Homestead
    in the Valley when I was browsing delicious.com.
    It looks as though someone enjoyed your blog so much they decided
    to bookmark it. I'll definitely be returning here more often.

    Feel free to visit my blog; pedal exerciser

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if it's just me or if everybody else experiencing problems with your blog.
    It seems like some of the written text within your
    content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening
    to them as well? This could be a problem with my internet browser because I've had this happen previously. Thank you

    My blog: large ladies bags uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm curious to find out what blog platform you have been utilizing? I'm experiencing some minor security problems with my latest site
    and I'd like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any recommendations?

    Here is my blog post; fitness motivation pictures
    Also see my webpage > fitness 19 gym

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! This is the third time visiting now and I personally just wanted to say I truley get pleasure from looking
    through your site. I decided to bookmark
    it at delicious.com with your title: Blogger: Little Homestead in the Valley and your Website address:
    http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=661784533905116154&postID=4830562636458690747.
    I hope this is ok with you, I'm making an attempt to give your fantastic blog a bit more exposure. Be back shortly.

    Feel free to visit my webpage ... activewear women plus sizes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?

    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
    Any suggestions?

    Feel free to visit my homepage http://beauirwin1126.insanejournal.com
    My web site > ballet slippers coloring sheet

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it
    much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Exceptional work!


    Look at my website :: furnished rentals vancouver kitsilano

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would you mind if I quote a couple of your blogposts as long as
    I provide credit and sources back to your blog: http://www.
    blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=661784533905116154&postID=4830562636458690747.
    I'll aslo be sure to give you the appropriate anchortext link using your website title: Blogger: Little Homestead in the Valley. Please let me know if this is okay with you. Thankyou

    Here is my web-site: computer parts stores in nj

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the admin of this site is in fact working hard
    for his website, for the reason that here every data is
    quality based material.

    My blog post - Sushi En Menu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my blog so i got here to go back the desire?
    .I'm trying to find issues to enhance my website!I guess its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    Here is my weblog - scooterbrands.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to
    do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. appreciate it

    Check out my web page; back injury icd 9 code

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world everything is presented on net?


    my web-site :: putting lessons

    ReplyDelete
  20. Informative article, just what I wanted to find.

    My page :: kissimmeepublic golf courses

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything is very open with a really clear description of the
    challenges. It was really informative. Your site is useful.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Look into my homepage :: Commercial Led Lighting

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on sushi bar for sale
    nyc. Regards

    Also visit my blog ... www.roxiti.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey! Quick question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4. I'm trying to find
    a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this problem.
    If you have any recommendations, please share. With thanks!


    Visit my web page; golfnow arizona grand

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I
    never found any interesting article like yours.
    It's pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

    My web blog ... ada kitchen appliances

    ReplyDelete
  25. With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My site has a lot of completely unique content I've either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being ripped off? I'd genuinely appreciate it.


    My webpage; interior design pictures of homes

    ReplyDelete