Saturday, July 31, 2010

Not Quite as Planned

Everything was going so smoothly on day 1 and 2 of the trip.  Day three decided not to cooperate.

First the laptop died.  The laptop we bought from a friend specifically for using the dvd on the trip.  The dvd drive stopped working and several hours later the entire system decided it was a good time to fail.

Then we had an unfortunate detour in Quebec city.  It took an hour to figure out that Mapquest had left out some important directions.

Then this;
Couldn't even save the wheel.
Yeah, nothing makes my pregnant heart sing like a tire exploding on a busy highway in Quebec. We barely made it to the side of the road where I had to get out and sit on an embankment next to the highway with two squirmy kids. The transports roaring by didn't help matters.

At some point during the tire changing process I saw Limey pause for a moment and I thought "no he isn't". Sure enough out comes a cigarette for a smoke break. The camera soon followed and he was smiling away as he snapped pics of the damage. Did I mention I was waiting on a an embankment with two squirmy kids? And that I'm grossly pregnant?

Anyway, the smile was soon wiped from his face when he realized that it was Sunday at 5pm and all the garages were closed. So much for getting to Fredericton that night.
Not so smiley now eh Limey?
I actually didn't mind the delay as the hotel had a pool and a hot tub which I took full advantage of. It's amazing how not pregnant one can feel when floating around in water.

Day 4 went much better. We bought a new laptop and played Dora dvds which made the kids happy. We made it as far as Amherst before DD2 decided it was bedtime and she wanted to sleep in an actual bed.
Corny yes, but they were pointing to Nova Scotia!  Really!
Finally!
What day are we at now? Right, Tuesday, a day late. Regardless the closing date isn't until Thursday so we finished up some last minute business, drove by the house, took the kids to the zoo, lounged in the pool etc.

We moved in on Thursday, the moving trucks came in later that afternoon and internet was finally hooked up today.

The Valley is amazing. I guess it's technically rural but it's hardly remote. Most of the stores we shop at are 10-20 minutes away with the rest around 40 minutes away. The bigger towns are busy but the residential areas (in town and the rural homes) are very peaceful.

The houses are gorgeous. There are very few newer (1900's+) houses, so lots of different styles and they are all beautiful.

The weather has been crazy. Despite hearing that it never goes over 24C, it's been over 30 since we've been here. Today is actually the first cooler day. Nights are cool and comfortable regardless of daytime temps. We have less mosquitoes here than in the city. I have yet to see any black flies or noseeums.

The house itself needs a ton of work. But that's the kind of house we buy. Nothing major aside from the funhouse floors. Every room  needs work and hopefully with Limey on break it'll go a lot faster than the renos on the previous house did.

The lot is lovely at 4 acres. We're really excited about getting a garden in and some animals but that'll come after we do some interior work.

I'll post some detailed photos of the house once everything is cleaned up and unpacked. For now, here's some pics I took last night.
Chillaxin
Bush is at the end of the lot, it's further than it looks.
Ooh a sunset.
One last look before bed.

15 comments:

  1. What a journey! on Leons T shirt I thought it said 'never again' lol glad you are all there it looks so beautiful! Rach xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look on Leons face after he realizes there is no grage open after 5pm glad you all made it safely though. It's been so neat to follow your familys Nova Scotia Journey I can't wait to see and read more as it goes along awsome property.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there!
    I found your blog after reading some of your posts on Mothering. It seems we have a lot in common! I'm also a soon-to-be-(Waldorf) homeschooling, wanna-be-homesteading mom of 3 (under 6). I'm originally from Ontario, moved to Cape Breton, and we just bought a house in the Valley, where we will, hopefully, be moving in the next couple of weeks! I just wanted to say hello. :) I hope all is going well with the new baby and with the house renos... WOW, you guys must be busy! If you're up to it at some point (no rush!!), feel free to send me an email if you'd like. I can be reached at alissamacphee @ gmail.com (just remove the spaces on either side of the @). I also have a long-lost blog that I haven't updated in months... but you can read a bit about our family/lifestyle there if you'd like! Take care!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up, I would like to subscribe for this web site to obtain newest updates, therefore where can i do it please help.

    my website: se4moderation.demo.younetco.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy looking through a post that can make people think.
    Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!


    Also visit my webpage ... unmuha.ac.id

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, every time i used to check web site posts here early in the daylight, for the
    reason that i love to gain knowledge of more and more.

    my web-site; watches for men

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there very nice web site!! Guy .. Excellent .

    . Superb .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally? I'm glad to search out so many useful
    information right here within the put up, we'd like develop extra techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

    my homepage: openwiki.atspace.eu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession
    capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account
    your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

    My web page internet marketing services

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this website offers quality based articles and extra stuff,
    is there any other web page which provides these things in quality?



    Also visit my web-site - women's armitron watches

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are truly enormous ideas in concerning blogging. You have touched some good points here.
    Any way keep up wrinting.

    my page: blackhat seo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?


    My web blog: http://www.gatv.ssr.upm.es/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really interesting, You're an overly professional blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look ahead to in quest of more of your great post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

    Feel free to visit my site; wiki.lib3.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it
    was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for beginner blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it.



    Here is my web-site: rchobbiesnow

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs a great deal more attention.
    I'll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the info!

    Also visit my webpage Seo Guide

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do trust all of the ideas you have presented to your post.
    They are really convincing and will definitely work.
    Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for starters. May just you
    please prolong them a little from subsequent
    time? Thank you for the post.

    Feel free to surf to my web site: akribos watches for women

    ReplyDelete