Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Ducks Have Landed

I picked muscovies out of all the different breeds because in addition to being excellent meat birds, I'd heard that they aren't as noisy as regular ducks. That's the understatement of the year. After Limey put them in their paddock I watched the three ducks have what appeared to be a conversation. It's hard to be sure because although their beaks were moving, no sound was coming out.

Aside from that tiny glitch in the matrix, they are really lovely birds. The male is huge and has the most beautiful green feathers on his back. The females have these cute little mohawks.

Zoe, Jayne and Kayley

Don't they look serene?

Do you think they like fireflies?

The chickens have been very interested in the new arrivals. They casually walked over to the fence adjoining the two paddocks to sneak peaks while pretending to eat. They did the same thing when we brought the pig home.

Speaking of the pig. She came close enough to sniff my hand today so I was able to get some better pics.



2 comments:

  1. Cool, names glad they got to your place safely, and happily.

    Colin.
    http://www.silvervalleypoultry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't take credit for the names, they are characters from "Firefly".

    Thanks for the lovely ducks. I can't wait for the babies!

    ReplyDelete