Monday, November 29, 2010

A New Calendar

You might recall the previous advent calendar I made.  If not, check it out here.  I sewed up little felt envelopes and clipped them to a ribbon with mini clothespins.  It was cute but there were some flaws in my design.  For one it is too small for more than one child.  Sometimes I don't have the energy to do an activity so I wanted the option to put candy or small toys in the envelopes.  Unfortunately the envelopes were too small for more than one candy/toy and I now have three kids.   Then the clothespins all broke so I needed to come up with something new.

Here's what I came up with.



I bought the drawstring bags from Etsy and 25 yards of gingham ribbon from Ebay.  The numbers are written on with a black fabric marker that I picked up at the fabric shop for a buck.

We do 31 days because I don't like the anticlimax after gift opening on Christmas Day.  I want the season to be about more than presents and extending the holiday until the 31st with the advent calendar helps with this. 

As for activities we have a bunch of cards printed out with a picture and description of what to do.  Things like;  build a snowman, decorate sugar cookies, make Christmas crackers etc.   Some are dependent on snow so we just switch those out for something else if the weather isn't cooperating.   It's a lot of fun and we look forward to it every year.

What's in your advent calendar?

9 comments:

  1. Limette,
    This is the BEST advent calendar idea. So very clever. And it works for a family full of children. My daughter has three children, so we (well, I) have always felt I needed to find three advent calendars. Not anymore. And no little trinkets to buy either. PLUS - it turns the season into creating memories and giving of yourself, not getting, which is how it's supposed to be. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Limette.. Such a creative idea for your children to enjoy.
    I happened to find you on farmama and noticed that you are in Nova Scotia..
    I have been reading about all of your renos... Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so clever. I haven't done an Advent calendar since my kids have grown up. Their grandmother though, used to send the kind that had the little window to open up everyday. Just little picture in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a co-worker who was conducting a little homework on this. And he in fact bought me lunch because I found it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this issue here on your internet site.

    Have a look at my webpage; USA real estate directory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola! I've been following your web site for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the good job!

    Have a look at my webpage - flat rate FL business lisitings

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s very simple to find out any topic on web
    as
    compared to books, as I found this paragraph
    at this web site.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post; garden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thіѕ is a good tip particularly tо thοse fresh
    to the blоgosphere. Short but ѵeгу accuгate info…
    Many thanks for ѕhаring this one.
    A must read аrtiсlе!

    Herе iѕ mу homepаge: losing ωeight aftеr
    50 with pіlates - wiki.iannc.org -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I do think this is a great web sіte.
    I stumbledupon it ;) I may return yet аgain since i have book marked it.
    Mοney and freedom is the greatest way to сhange,
    may you bе rich and continue to guide оtheгs.


    Alѕo νisіt my site ... gaгden *wiki.hellopbx.net*

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoah this weblog is fantastic i love reading your
    articles. Keep up the great work! You understand, many persons are
    looking round for this info, you could aid them greatly.


    Here is my blog post; best airless paint sprayer ()

    ReplyDelete