Saturday, November 27, 2010

Peanut brittle, peanut brittle, have ye any nuts?

(Holds brittle up to ear) Yessssssssssss.

Candy making is really easy.  It requires few ingredients and little effort.  The key to success is a candy thermometer.  You can get a decent one from any dollar store.

This was my first time making brittle.  Every year it's on my to do list and every year I don't make it.

All you need to do is mix together in a large pot; 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup corn syrup, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 cup water.  Heat to medium until sugar is dissolved.  Add 1 cup of peanuts, clip on your thermometer and heat to 300F or until a drop of the mix turns into hard brittle threads when added to ice water.

Almost ready.
 When it's done, take it off the heat and add 2 tbsp of butter and 1 tsp of baking soda. Mix it in well then pour onto a greased cookie sheet.  You will need to spread it out a bit.


Let it cool and then snap into pieces. That's it. If it's a gift, put it in a nice box or glass jar topped with ribbon.  If not, eat it up before the kids see it.


3 comments:

  1. I have never used a candy thermometer......just did the cold water thing.So I bought one and I'm not sure how to use it.....it has a plastic sleeve .....I'm sure I have to take it off but not totally sure.LOL It doesn't look like yours....it has a dial on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup the plastic sleeve comes off and you just clip it on the side of your pot. Don't let it touch the bottom of the pan though. I go by the thermometer and double check with the water.

    ReplyDelete