Monday, November 22, 2010

Try Not to Freak Out

Yummy.
What are they?  They are scrumdiddlyumptious little mealworms.  Although I'm sure humans could eat them, we won't be.  They are for the chickens, or lizards if we had some.

You can buy 100 mealworms from a pet store for about $5. It doesn't amount to much so if you're serious about feeding them to your chickens, the financially responsible thing to do would be to breed them yourself. Which is what we're doing.

You take your squirmy worms and dump them into a high sided container (like a small fishtank) with a bunch of wheat bran and a cut up potato. I change the potato out once a week and add more bran as I see it depleting.

The wormy thing (larva) turns into a pupa which then turns into a darkling beetle.



The beetle lays on average 500 eggs, which starts the whole cycle again.   Once the new larva hatch we'll start feeding some to our chickens. 

I bet you're feeling hungry now aren't ya?

6 comments:

  1. Eeesssshh! I get squirmy just looking at the pictures! Imagine what will happen when I have to grab a hand full and heve them crawling between the gaps of my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Limey,and squeal like a girl!! That is so cool!! They will love them.We've never tried that,what a nice treat on a cold winters' day.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I admire your commitment but can't get over the urge to run the other way! I'll have to get over my squeamishness if I am to run a homestead but for now I'll say "Ewwwwww!" and hide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has got to be such good news for a Sunday morning! I'm going to set up a little beetle box somewhere near our woodstove so the grubs and their crispy-shelled parents can keep warm. Oooooh our hens will be so tickled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun with your bugs Molly. They should be stored in a cool (8-10C) dark place. Your chickens will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look like roaches....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete