Monday, November 15, 2010

Wood Purists Beware

With the exception of the grey weathered stuff, I'm not a lover of natural looking wood.  I blame oak kitchens and the ubiquitous pine panel basement.  Which is why when I see wood I'm moved to paint or stain it a non-wood colour.

I did the dining room table grey and dry brushed it with white.  For the writing table I wanted to do something a little bolder.



I stained it with Minwax water based wood stain in "deep ocean". I had been thinking about using this colour on my future kitchen cabinets so I thought I'd do a test run with it on the desk. As usual I faltered a bit after the first coat. Once the second coat was dry I concluded that the colour was perfect.

Now I just have to send Limey upstairs to drag out my heavy behomoth Kenmore sewing machine to place on top.

9 comments:

  1. Bravo!! I love it! You have a very keen eye for colour....are you a designer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm only a wannabe. Although I think when I was twelve I listed interior designer as what I wanted to be when I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the painted writing desk! Very brave to tackle such a deep and unusual colour, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...one of the many reasons why I love my wife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I am one who does like the wood colors in my home, not paneling, but like to see what others do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! I really like natural wood but this is really beautiful, you're inspiring me to get more colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous blue. Beautiful desk too! Your light colored walls and floor really highlight it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is
    awesome, nice written and come with approximately all important infos.
    I'd like to peer extra posts like this .
    installing hardwood floors

    Feel free to visit my blog post: hardwood floor
    my website - hardwood floors

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also
    am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; we have
    developed some nice procedures and we are looking to exchange techniques with other folks, be sure to shoot me
    an email if interested.

    My webpage hotel housekeeping checklist

    ReplyDelete