*I didn't count the three duds that I threw out in the beginning.
I'm sure it was just beginners luck but here's what I did.
- only used clean eggs (so no dirty ones that required cleaning)
- used a hygrometer from CT to monitor the humidity in the Hova-Bator
- added foil covered plastic bowls of water to keep the humidity up
- during lock down the humidity was kept at 75% minimum but was usually 85%
I also did a big no-no. I opened the incubator after pipping. I had peeled back the foil on one of the bowls to up the humidity. I didn't think the chicks would be able to climb up the bowls. I was wrong. One of the chicks got the onto bowl and fell through the hole in the foil. I popped the lid on the incubator long enough to move the other chicks off the bowl, remove the wet chick and recover the bowl. The humidity was around 90% when I started and dropped to 85% by the time the lid was put back on. No shrink wrapping occurred.
Yesterday I put in some newly purchased easter egger eggs as well as some older australorp egg I had in the fridge.. I also broke my own rule. The eggs were very dirty and required cleaning. I should be able to see how many are still viable in about a week.