Monday, January 31, 2011

Self Sufficiency

In this day and age it's probably impossible to be completely self-sufficient but it's nice to aspire to a greater level of sufficiency then one is currently at.

Back in the cold, frozen North we had a 1/5 acre plot that we grew a ton of produce on.  We were just starting to plant fruit trees when we decided to move.  Even then on that little city lot we tried to lessen our impact on the world, become more frugal and increase our self sufficiency.

I have a list of things that I'd like to implement on this property. 

Grey water catchment system:  This is something you have to check with your municipality before installing.  You don't want to spend money here only to find out after the fact that it's illegal where you live. 

Solar Panels:  The gold standard of self-sufficiency.  It's pricey but we're hearing a lot about a new improved and cheaper panel coming soon to the market. 

Wind Power:  There is a fair bit of wind here so why not harness it for energy production?

Rain Barrels:  With lots of thirsty animals around, I'd like to rely on something other than the well to water them with.  Strategically placed barrels will make dragging around a giant hose a thing of the past.

Food Production:  We've already started on this with the chickens and pig.  The goats should be ready to milk soon taking care of our dairy needs.  Gardening will of course be the biggest contributor.  In addition to the regular fruit and vegetables, I'm going to attempt edamame, chickpeas and oats this year.

Food Storage and Preservation: I'm hoping Limey will have time to set up a cold room in the basement before harvest in the fall.  I've been dreaming about solar dehydrators, pressure canners and smokers.

Here's some links to more info;

Root Cellaring

The National Center for Home Food Preservation

Ball Canning Recipes

Solar, Water, Biofuels...

10 comments:

  1. I've been thinking a lot about "off-the-grid" living and I think the key is simplicity and frugality.
    The less you require, the less you need to provide for yourself.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys get up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on all this. We are working our way down this same list. So much to do to get closer to being more self sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm looking to start my own blog in the
    near future but I'm having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something
    unique. P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had
    to ask!

    My site :: short term apartment rental los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there just happened upon your blog from Google after I typed in, "Blogger: Little Homestead in the Valley" or perhaps something similar (can't quite remember exactly). Anyhow, I'm relieved I found it simply because
    your subject material is exactly what I'm looking for (writing a college paper) and I hope you don't mind if I gather some information from here and I will of course credit you as the source.

    Thanks.

    my blog free home repair for seniors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whats up! I am about to begin my own website and was wondering if you know where the best place
    to purchase a website url is? I am not even sure if that's what its known as? (I'm new to this) I'm referring to "http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=661784533905116154&postID=3265329520170382345". How do I go about obtaining one of these for the website I'm making?

    Cheers

    Stop by my web-site - corporate housing houston reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi would you mind stating which blog platform you're using? I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm having a tough time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm
    looking for something unique. P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!



    Also visit my homepage; short term housing in newtown pa area

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iím not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future. Many thanks

    my weblog: discreetphysici13.postbit.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know whether it's just me or if everyone else experiencing problems with your site.
    It appears as if some of the text on your content are
    running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if
    this is happening to them as well? This could
    be a problem with my browser because I've had this happen before. Many thanks

    my web page ... frigidaire.com/registration

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may be eligible for a new government sponsored solar energy rebate program.
    Find out if you're qualified now!

    ReplyDelete