Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Time Has Come

Eat the pig, eat the pig, ziggy, ziggy, ziggy, zig!

Tuesday the pig will be dispatched and Wednesday the pork will be cut up for the freezer.  I've been hearing lots of boo hooing from friends and Limey but c'est le vie.  My body doesn't do vegetarian/vegan so eating the meat from happy animals is the best way to go. 

I'd like to use as much of the pig as possible so I ordered two books from Amazon to help me out.

The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating by Fergus Henderson


Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman

On Monday Limey is going to stop at the nearest butcher supply shop to pick up some sausage casings (in case ours don't turn out), butcher paper and some cure.  I want to have a go at making black pudding and peameal bacon.  I'm also excited about rendering lard. 

We really enjoyed raising a pig and plan to get a few more in the spring.  If anyone is interested in pre-ordering a side of pork (or the entire thing), give me a shout.

6 comments:

  1. Im hoping to render some lard tomorrow. My first time ever by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pig is on our near future list. At least I hope its "near," so I appreciate the info on the books. Like you I want to use as much of it as possible. I saved a link on lard making, if you're interested - http://farmfolly.com/2009/12/making-lard/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. I'm hoping the books arrive today so I can decide how the cuts go on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The longer they hang the carcass the more tender the meat.

    ReplyDelete