Monday, February 21, 2011

Hippity Hop into My Belly!

Limey butchered a rabbit yesterday.  He was about 10 weeks old.  Limey did the deed in the barn and then brought it in for me to identify the organs.


I saved the liver, kidneys and heart and cut up the rabbit for supper.  The fur went into the freezer.

Gloves

I want to try tanning the furs using this method but I need to collect quite a few first.  They'll store well in the freezer until I'm ready for them.

The recipe I used was for rabbit cacciatore. The rabbit was lovely but I think I'd like to try it in a mustard sauce.  The tomatoes didn't really do it for me.

Nom, nom, nom.


Yesterday a friend gifted us with some game.  I'm going to be cooking up some bear tomorrow night. 

Am I a glutton or a gourmand?

4 comments:

  1. I was never fond of rabbit meat,it was always so tough!I guess you have to know how to cook it.Looks like Limey was enjoying it.
    I had a pair of those white fur mittens when I was a kid and loved them,so soft but of course they came from a store.Geof and our son(Avery) both hunted bear.Some people like and some don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild rabbit is generally tough because it's often older. Either way because rabbit is a lean meat, it needs to be cooked slow in liquid or soaked in a brine before cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I could have gone all day without the dead body!
    Warn me next time, will ya!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lmao! I debated putting a warning in the title but I've seen rabbit at the grocery store so I figured you all could deal with it!

    ReplyDelete