Saturday, February 5, 2011

The White Stuff

Contrary to popular belief, lard is a good fat not a bad one. With that in mind I wanted to render some of the pig fat so that I can stop using vegetable shortening/oil (bad fat).

Rendering lard is super easy. If you don't have a pig of your own, you can guarantee that your local butcher has some to sell.

First off, chop the lard into smaller pieces.  The smaller the lard the faster it will render.


Put it in a large pot and turn heat to medium low.



Stir the lard periodically as it melts down.


At some point most of the fat will be melted and you'll be left with cracklings floating on top.


Drain the fat and store the cracklings for snacks or for topping casseroles.


I overcooked this just a wee bit.  My second batch was lighter.


Pour the fat into mason jars and let cool.  The fat will turn white once it's solid.


That's it. Store in the fridge or freezer.

4 comments:

  1. The vegan in me is grossed out.
    The DIYer in me is impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just butchered our first hog and I didn't know what I was suppose to do with the package labeled "pork fat". Thanks, I thought there was more to it. We also got some packages labeled "pork cracklins" Do I do the same thing with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the pork fat already rendered? Because if it was that's where the cracklings are from. The cracklings are deep fried bits of fat. You can eat with salt or put on top of a casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fat is still in the freezer,un-rendered as is the scraps for head cheese.....really should get at that some stormy day!The other white stuff! LOL

    ReplyDelete