Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Problem With Shopping Online

The problem I keep finding when shopping online is that every site I come across is inevitably an American based business. Internet shopping has been big for ages now and Canadians have been a little slow on the uptake. If I do manage to find a Canadian business online, the information on their site is minimal; business name, address and phone number. The same info I could have got from the phone book.  No pricing or shipping info and if they have an email address they never respond to it.

I don't phone people. It's an issue leftover from my social phobia days. If there's no email contact then I'm not going to do business with you.

So of course when I set out to buy cheese making supplies the only site I could find was an American one.

I placed an order with the New England Cheesemaking Supply Company and it was shipped out that day.   I received my parcel within two weeks with cheap shipping to boot.


In one more week I'm hoping to be drowning in goat milk.  Sweet goat milk that I can turn into cheese.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd love to come watch/help :) Cheese making is on my list of to-do's (along with almost everything else!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to have enough milk by Wed 6th if you want to come over then. I'm hoping to make yogurt, chevre, feta and maybe some quark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had bad experiences ordering from the US, and am always worried about the bill I am going to get from Canada Customs. I can negotiate and agree on every price before ordering, except the random value assessed by the Government (and the hourly wage paid to the Agent) after the fact. My $80 kilt ended up costing me $150.

    Glad to hear you had good results with international shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only time I've had issues shipping through customs (with extra charges) is when it's shipped through any other company other than USPS. The U.S Postal Service has a contract with Canada Post to carry mail with no extra fee. If you ship with Fed Ex, UPS, anyone else, they have to charge a fee to carry it across the border. I made that mistake once ($80 fee on $80 item) and I now only order stuff that is shipped via USPS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you!

    Have you tried ordering from Glengarry Cheese Making Company. They are based in Ontario, I have not ordered from them yet as our goats don't arrive till later in the year. I have heard from others that they are very good. http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link. I haven't been to that site yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so with you on the not-phoning-people thing. Email and on-line shopping were a godsend to me. I even have to psyche myself up to call family.

    Sorry you have so many problems with on-line shopping in Canada.

    Yummy goat cheese! I hope you will document the process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orіentаl tаntra seeks to remοve such
    blockages in the peripheгal nerѵes, whiсh are fibrous bands that form between tissueѕ,
    аll аround the cheѕt. I ѕаid to myself:" That? Then move on to the next part of your body such as the tail bone all the way down the hand and end at the ankle, before repeating the strokes. So let's call it the knee-rub tantra. You can roll the ball slowly over the child from head to toe.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog :: erotic massage london

    ReplyDelete