Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Their First Chicken

The kids cleaned out their first chicken today.

I was collecting eggs and there was a leghorn sitting in the nestbox looking close to death.   When I picked her up, her oviduct was hanging out.  I put her in a bin so Limey could finish her off. 

A minute later, Limey went out to find she had already died.  He bled her out and brought her back in the house where the kids were waiting.   After the chicken was scalded the kids helped pluck it and remove the entrails.  Limey led an interesting lecture on all the chickens parts and what they were for.

Pluck, pluck, pluck.
Some pretty big yolks there.


Trying not to laugh.
Homeschooling at it's finest.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness the look on her face cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homeschooling at it's most excellent! Love the last photo. How timely the whole event was. Couldn't have been more perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and they seemed to really enjoy it!Too bad about the hen though:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a good job! I am still debating getting chickens. I like the idea, but not sure I am really ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a freaking awesome school lesson!

    ReplyDelete