Saturday, April 9, 2011

Basic Goat Cheese

I saved up some more milk to make another batch of goat cheese and this time I photographed it for you.

Slowly heat 4 cups of fresh milk to 180F.


Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup lemon juice.  Stir and let curdle for 30 seconds.  It should very lightly curdle.  

This batch curdled more than the last and resulted in a drier, more crumbly cheese.

Pour into a sieve (over a bowl) lined heavily with cheesecloth.  Limey used 4 layers.


Tie it up and hang it over the sieve/bowl to let all the whey drip out.


After an hour or so gently squeeze out any remaining whey.


Mix in some herbs and a little salt. Pat into a mold or just smoosh into a ball. Serve with crackers or a nice crusty bread.

Always a classy choice, Ritz crackers.
That's it.  Yummy goat cheese. 

5 comments:

  1. What are you going to do with the whey? I've heard you can just feed it back to the livestock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the pigs are a little older we'll feed them the whey but right now I'm just baking bread with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I get more milk I'm going to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks good! We use a lot of yogurt, yogurt cheese, and whey, so I'm really looking forward to having fresh goats milk. Love the idea of adding herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've learn several good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you place to make any such excellent informative website.

    Feel free to visit my blog post: Cheap Party Pills

    ReplyDelete