Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cheese From Goats

I wasn't expecting to make cheese today but I managed to squeeze enough milk out of Robin tonight to make a small batch.


Soft goat cheese is super easy to make.  All you need is;

1 quart of fresh milk
1/4 cup of lemon juice
seasonings (salt, garlic, herbs whatever you like)

Heat a quart of milk to 180F.  Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.  It will curdle lightly.  Strain through a thick layer of cheese cloth.  Tie the cloth in to a pouch and hang the cheese over a bowl for 2 hours.  Squeeze remaining whey out and season the cheese to taste.

11 comments:

  1. What a great milestone for you,producing farmstead cheese,yummy!
    What did you use for seasoning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic, dill, salt and pepper. It was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See now I've tried every which way to make soft goat cheese and nothing works. I've tried your way also. Nada. The only way it will work is if I can make yogurt and then turn it into cheese.

    I've been trying for 4 years now and zip!

    It's enough to drive a goat farmer nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's weird. Where is it going wrong? Does it curdle when you add the lemon juice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks very yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It hardly curdles. I don't know if our goats milk is not fatty enough.

    Dunno. It's weird. I even had someone else try and make it with Febe's milk, but they had a hard time also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa: Did you try making the cheese even though it didn't curdle much? Ours hardly curdled either but apparently, that's the way it is supposed to go. We just layered the cheese cloth 4 or 5 sheets thick to strain the whey out and a-whey we went! - pun intended! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds so easy. If I ever quit feeding my goat milk to bottle kids, I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this "simple" recipe. I have goats arriving soon and my daughter and I are keen to make cheese. I'll store this recipe until then and hope it's as simple as you make it sound and that it tastes as good as your cheese looks.

    ReplyDelete