Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Hidden Stash

One of our Muscovy ducks, Kayley, has been taking morning visits into the bush.  I suspect that she is laying her eggs there and hopefully she'll be hatching out some new ducklings soon. 

Limey had a little look to see if he could find them.  If she's laying, she's hid them well because his search turned up nothing.  That's okay because one of our new ducks has started to lay in her house. 


The great thing about Muscoveys is that they are pretty self-sufficient.   They forage well for themselves and they are quite capable of hatching out eggs and rearing the young.  In the warm months, we make sure they have clean water and leave them to it.  In the winter we give them feed and let them sleep in the barn. 

They are quiet, great slug catchers and produce a dark, non-greasy meat.  I real enjoy raising them and can't wait to have a bunch of ducklings waddling around the farm.

I have a question for those of you that raise waterfowl.  Can I run my ducks in the same area as the Buff American geese I'm buying?  Will they get along?  Will they interbreed?

4 comments:

  1. Mine get along just fine with my geese, no interbreeding.
    Saying that all new birds should be quarantined for at least a month for disease reasons.
    I'm not sure if you know being new to NS but ILT was very prevalent last year around here, it is a very serious thing,vaccinated birds are a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if they will get along, but last year our drake killed the first 2 that hatched, he flung them out of the nest. so you may want to keep him away for the first little while. There is nothing better than baby ducklings:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUR DUCKS AND GEESE GOT ALONG JUST FINE. DURING THE DAY THEY PRETTY MUCH KEPT TO THEMSELVES. BUT AT NIGHT THEY ALL COLLECTED TOGETHER IN THE SAME SHED. I LIKED THE DUCKS, BUT NOT THE GEESE AS MUCH. NOT ONCE THEY WERE MATURE. YOU SHOULD ASK LIMEY ABOUT THE TIME HE TOOK THE GEESE SOME WATER!
    ANGIE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom: Sounds familiar! I can't quite recall though! Did they get me!? I can only remember the chickens from Dad's animals. I know you had a pig too but what else did you have?

    ReplyDelete