Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hygrometer Calibration

When Limey went to purchase a hygrometer, he noticed that they all had a different reading.  I probably should have calibrated the one he bought, but I was  lazy.  Now that we've had 3 yucky hatches I've decided it was about time to get the salt out.
 



To calibrate your hygrometer all you have to do is seal it inside a ziploc bag with salt water.  Put 1/2 cup of table salt into a container with 1/4 cup of water.  Place the container of salt water and the hygrometer into the bag without getting the hygrometer wet and seal it up.  Leave it for 8-12 hours and then check the reading without unzipping the bag.

When I checked mine, it should have read 75% if it was right.  Mine said 60%.  So when I have it set during a hatch, I have to adjust the humidity by 15% in order to be correct.  So if I want the humidity to be 60%, my hygrometer should be reading 45%. 

I'm thinking about buying a second hygrometer, that way I can check them against each other. 

As soon as we collect enough Barred Rock eggs, we'll attempt another hatch.  If that goes well, we'll have another go at the quail eggs.

Cross your fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment