Friday, April 1, 2011

Now I'm the Substitute!

So as I was saying.  Yesterday evening we got a knock on the door.  It was our friend down the street who sold us Checkers.  His pig has mastitis and was drying up.  A few of her babies had died and the rest were starving.  Although he had done the bottle feeding thing in the past, circumstances had it that he wouldn't be able to do it himself this time around. 

Now we're the proud parents of 8 four day old piglets.  We tried bottle feeding them, but most can't seem to figure it out.  After reading online I decided to try the bowl method which is working much better.

Here are some pics of the hungry babies!





Aren't they freakin adorable!  Eight piggies, crazy right? 

Now that we have all these cute babies around, I think everyone should come visit on Sunday (April 3rd).  Limey will be puttering about doing farm jobs but I'll be in the house to entertain visitors.   Let me know if you can come by and meet the various babies.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish we were free to come on Sunday! Those are some painfully cute piggies. I hope they do well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting from Farm Friend Friday. Your piglets are tooo cute!!! Oh my gosh, I love the spotted ones. Just darlin' they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly!!! They are so cute! Wow,you sure do have a lot of little ones to look after.I hope they start eating good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some cute little piglets. We'll be by on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baby pigs they are so sweet.
    Do you get to keep them?
    Are they Berkshire Tamworth cross?
    Would have loved to stop in to meet you but we are going that way tomorrow instead...another time maybe?..
    Hoping they keep doing well,you have lots of work ahead of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you on FFF, enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so cute! I wouldn't have guessed piglets. Pigs are on our list, maybe in a year or two. That little guy in the center of the last pic certainly doesn't look like he's starving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Farmer, if you want to stop by today I'll be here. 9307 Hwy 1.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are Tam/Berk crosses. We do get to keep them but will probably be giving one or two back once they are weaned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry we are back home now,just got this now...we did get to meet Sharon and Jeff though!
    Do you get up this way often?

    We had Berkshire's for the past 4 years,they are so yummy!
    Sounds like you got a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey guys, we'll try to make it up, if the weather improves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Farmer; Not very often but if we do, we'll give you a shout.

    Jai and Lauren; The pigs are in the sunroom, nice and toasty in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too cute! We raised Berks. Piglets are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can you resist piglets? Not possible.

    ReplyDelete