Monday, May 2, 2011

The Bread and Butter

I made butter the other day.  It definitely was not worth it.  Maybe if I had a KitchenAid, I might feel differently but I nearly killed my little hand blender and burned my finger in the process.

If you want to attempt it yourself, grab some heavy cream and shake it to death.  You can shake it in a mason jar, or in a blender, whatever floats your boat.  Just agitate the cream until you get butter.  At that point rinse it with water and press the water out with a paddle or spoon.   Add some salt it you want and it's done.

Not worth the trouble.

I also made bread without the use of an appliance which  I haven't done in some time.   Last week my bread machine walked itself off the counter and smashed into a billion pieces.   This irked me somewhat as it was a replacement for my previous bread machine.  That one died after 6 months of daily use.  No Limey,  I didn't burn the bread,  just the motor.  Oh well, it's about time I got around to toning my arms anyway.

Yummy Bread; The Tiring Way

6 cups flour
6 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup of sugar or honey (optional)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 3/4 cup water 110F (use whey if you have it)
cornmeal (optional)


Stir the yeast, 2 cups of flour, salt and sugar, together.  Add the melted butter and water. Mix together well and stir in as much of the remaining flour that you can.

Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.  Cover and let rise until doubled in size.  Show off your smokin' guns.

Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal if you want.  Cut the dough in half and form into two loaves or boules, whatever shape you like.  You can even plop them into greased bread pans. 

Cover and let rise until doubled again.  Take a nap.

Make a couple of slashes across the top of the loaf.  You can coat the bread with diluted egg yolk, but I never do.  Bake for about 35 minutes in a 375F oven.

Marvel in the beauty that is fresh baked bread.  Pat self on back.

Worth the trouble.

1 comment:

  1. I should try the butter in my kitchenAid...

    ReplyDelete