Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cottage Style

Cheese, that is. You can go super basic with cottage cheese and make it without a culture or rennet.

Small Curd Cottage Cheese

4 liters of milk (2% or skim)
1/2 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
heavy cream

Heat the milk up to 190F. Remove from heat and add the vinegar. Stir it in and allow it to cool to room temperature.

Strain through a colander (no cloth required). Feed the whey to your pigs (human or animal). Mix the salt in to the remaining curds. Stir in some heavy cream until it's a consistancy that you are happy with.


The curds are a teensy bit drier than what I buy from the store but it's still a really close match.

I placed an order with Glengarry for some cheese cultures.  I also found a recipe for making my own culture which I'm excited about trying.  I really want to make some hard cheeses as well as things like sour cream and cream cheese which require a culture.  Did I mention that I love cheese?

Love, love, love it!

2 comments:

  1. I had it for supper! Super easy, super good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I just made ravioli with mine. Mixed it in with some spinach and parm. Was shocked when the kids actually ate their pasta!

    ReplyDelete