Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cream Cheese


I'm running through the easy stuff before I have a go at more solid cheeses. Here's how I made cream cheese.

1 quart heavy cream
2 Tbsp. cultured buttermilk
1 drop rennet dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat the cream to 70° F.  Add the buttermilk, and mix thoroughly. Stir in the rennet and water mixture.

Cover and let sit for 24 hours at room temperature. Whisk in the salt.

Strain the cream through a cheese cloth lined colander. Let drain for about 12 hours.  Add flavourings or use plain. 


Now I just need to learn how to make bagels.

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested in trying the 30-minute Mozarella from "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" but am having trouble finding a local valley or even Nova Scotia source for rennet. Where do you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glengarry. It's in Ontario.

    http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/

    ReplyDelete