Thursday, May 19, 2011

Culture

My order from Glengarry came in so now I can have a go at making cultured cheeses.  I started out with chevre and OMG did it turn out lovely.   It's the same texture as the goat cheese that you buy in rolls. 

The sea salt and cracked pepper cheese was to die for.

Chevre

4 liter goat milk
1/4 teaspoon mesophilic culture
1 drop of liquid rennet dissolved in 1tablespoon cool water
salt and other herbs/seasonings

*It's recommended that you pasteurize (I do) the milk and sterilize (I don't) your equipment beforehand.

In a large pot, warm milk over med-low to 77F.  Remove from heat and gently stir in the culture.  Let stand for 5 minutes. 

Add the diluted rennet and stir some more.  Cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. 

Drain off the whey through a cheesecloth lined colander.  Let drain for a minimum of 7 hours to get that nice thick chevre texture.  Season with salt as needed and roll in herbs and/or spices if you want to be fancy.  Throw a cheese party and invite me.

It should store in the fridge for two weeks but I guarantee it'll gone after two days. 

2 comments:

  1. you are killing me with the cheese pictures. I want cheese! I'm car-less and trapped here but you can come visit anytime. We've had major livestock carnage here but things are looking up now. And the SUN is out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The car should be getting fixed tomorrow. We can come by on the weekend then. At the moment it's hit or miss if it'll start.

    ReplyDelete