Monday, May 9, 2011

Propagation: Quince

I have a badly situated flowering quince in my backyard.  Before I remove it I'm going to attempt to make new babies from it.

For some plants, propagation can be a complicated process but for quince it's pretty easy.

First off you need a quince that is in flower.  Take as many 6" cuttings as you want from it.  Make sure each cutting has several leaves.


With a vegetable peeler or a paring knife, scale away the outer bark from the bottom 2" of the cutting.




Dip the exposed area in rooting hormone.
 



Insert the cutting into a 4" pot filled with potting soil.  Water.



Place the pot in a greenhouse or inside a clear plastic bag in the house.  After 6 weeks, remove the bag (if used) and repot in a larger container.

I'm going to plant the quince outside around the end of June if the cutting has taken hold and the weather is warm.

That's it.  Easy peasy.

Join the Barn Hop!

8 comments:

  1. You know what? I don't even know what a quince is. A fruit? I live in Arizona so maybe it's not a good place to raise one.

    Good luck when you transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like a hard pear. They need to be cooked to be edible. Not sure if they can grow in the heat of Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For quince, dogwood, forsythia on this property I just bury stems around the bush, as in pull a branch back, stick shovel in ground, push branch into ground, cover it up and then walk away. They will pull roots nicely, then you just cut it away from the main bush and off you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have done that if I wasn't going to cut it down a.s.a.p. I'll probably propagate the new ones by layering in a couple of years so I can sell some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great technique - thanks for posting! I miss the quince I had in Iowa. I will see if I can get some here. Looks like move-in date (FINALLY) is May 31. About time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MYSTERIOUS ВALLOOΝ RELAΥ: Ϲut paper into ѕmаll piecеs.
    It's also a way to fill time, if the wedding planners know this isn't
    а "dancing" grοup oг іf you want to loοsen pеople uρ for a long
    nіght of celebrating. Theу neeԁ to keep sucking in as they walk to the
    chаіr anԁ ԁrop theiг ghoѕt into
    the соntainer. Variouѕ
    adνenture games are deѕіgneԁ for this ρurpose for
    letting them haѵe more fun while also stіmulating theiг imagіnation.
    There iѕ a big ԁiffеrencе between giгl friendѕ and boy frienԁs.


    Hеre is my webρage fun games online

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend
    your website, how could i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me
    a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered
    bright clear idea

    My web-site - seo training free

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that
    I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

    my webpage; school unblocked games

    ReplyDelete