Saturday, August 13, 2011

Getting to Know Herbs: Lemon Verbena

 This is my first time growing lemon verbena and it definitely won't be the last.  I am in love with how it smells.  It reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum.  It's almost overwhelmingly citrusy.  I love it!


Lemon verbena is an annual but you can pot it up and bring inside over the winter. It is a tall, skinny plant, so place it where it's not going to get overwhelmed by any herbal bullies such as the borage I talked about previously.

LV makes a great tea when combined with mint.  It can be used in any recipe that you would use lemons in and would make a nice replacement for lemon zest.  As a dried herb it excels because it keeps its flavour and scent for years.  It is highly prized as a potpourri ingredient for this reason.  

I think the next time I make ice cream I'm going to flavour it with this intoxicating herb.

Have you ever grown lemon verbena?  Have you cooked with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment