Monday, August 15, 2011

Moving The Prisoners and a Hodgepodge Question

Apparently 6 pigs is too much for 3200 square feet of space. How do people raise pigs in 64 sqft spaces?! After digging up the entire paddock and leaving it totally bare, the pigs decided it was time to move.  The spent the last week breaking into the goat paddock.  I can't have them in there as it's not secure.  They could easily break through and escape into the bush.

Limey's been working away pretty much any time he's awake so had I wait for him to take a day off so we could move the pigs.

Well at least they left us some rocks.  



Nice, new, secure (hopefully) paddock.


The move went smoothly. The new electric fence was set a foot inside the farm fence we had up in the old goat paddock. The following day the pigs had dumped about a foot of sod over the electric fence but they no longer seem to care about breaking out.

Unrelated to the pig part of this post, I'm going to attempt to make hodgepodge for supper.  So Nova Scotians, do you have any tips for me?  What is the best way to make hodgepodge?

8 comments:

  1. Not sure what is hodgepodge? Electric fence works great for pigs, as long as you remember that when they first touch it, they won't back away, they'll actually go through it! But after the first time, they'll back away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hodgepodge is basically a mix of freshly picked veg cooked in cream and butter. It's supposed to be a Nova Scotia thing. They've been behind the electric for several months now but were so bored with moving around mud that they started shorting it out and escaping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that was one thing we had to keep a constant eye on. The mud they would gather around the wires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No tips on the Hodge Podge. Even though I was raised in NS my mom was from Ontario so we never had it growing up. I had it for the first time 10 years ago and it was marvelous.

    I imagine you could use your favourite chowder base although I've been told MY fav is no good becuase it calls for canned milk rather then fresh cream. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I ended up doing was steaming a bunch of veg. I drained them and added them back to the pot with 1/4 cup of butter and 3/4 cup of heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste and it was fab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For not knowing how to make hodge podge you pretty well hit it right on the head.Baby potatoes, string beans and peas is the way I learned it many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used those veg as well as some tiny carrots. I was surprised at how well it thickened with just the butter and cream. It was a lot tastier than I expected, even the kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a good grin from this post. One of my contemplated uses for our future pigs, is tilling the grain field. Your photos are a convincing argument that this would work!

    Having some Nova Scotian ancestry, I was very interested in the hodgepodge. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete