Monday, August 1, 2011

The Time Has Come

To make chickens in to meat. 

The meat birds are about 12 weeks now.  They've been on pasture since 6 weeks.  Limey butchered one out a week ago and the dressed weight was 4.5lbs. 

I wish they were bigger but they are starting to have trouble walking so it's time for them to go. 




We won't be without birds for long because we have another batch of 70 chicks in the barn.  I am eager to be done with animals for the season.  Once fall comes along and all the meat animals are gone it'll be nice to have the food and water duties finished faster.  

4 comments:

  1. Do you process your meat chickens yourself? I am really interested in raising meat chickens, but not sure about the processing part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one in the middle looks like it would be a little bit more than 4.5lb's lol.

    Good luck with the processing.

    If you get a chance I am hosting a give-away...hope you will stop by to visit.

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Limey does the processing himself. It's pretty straight forward and once you get a rhythem going it's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're getting ours processed by someone else this year (I called up the processor and it turns out he's my cousin by marriage :)). I'd like to learn how to do it myself next year though. We were going to go to 10 weeks but gosh, the food we're going through, even though ours are free ranging (I think they'll put a wicked dent in our slug population)is getting ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete