Saturday, November 12, 2011

Winter Squash Soup

I've made squash soup before but never with the proper ingredients.  By proper ingredients, I mean butter, heavy cream and homemade stock.   You can substitute margarine, milk and OXO but it will not be as good or as healthy.

I usually use buttercup squash but this time I tried it out with pumpkin.  Butternut is more commonly used.

That is not blood on the plate! 


Winter Squash Soup

skinned and chopped squash of your choice
butter
shallot
homemade stock
salt, pepper
chopped thyme
heavy cream

Chop a shallot and place it in a pot with a spoonful of butter on medium heat.  Saute for a couple of minutes until soft.  Add the squash to the pot and cover with stock.  Bring to a boil and cook until squash is done, about 15 minutes  or so.

Remove from heat, add the herbs and the puree it.  I use a stick blender and puree directly in the pot.  Put the soup back on the burner and heat on medium while adding about a cup of cream.  Salt and pepper to taste and then serve with some warm biscuits.

*If you added to much stock and find the soup too runny, you can add a cooked potato or leftover mashed potato to thicken it up.  Just puree it into the pot.

1 comment:

  1. This year I made what I called a "cream of summer" soup. Basically, anything that was left in the garden went in the pot: summer squash, tomato, eggplant, etc. It turned out really well! I froze the soup in pint-size freezer safe mason jars.

    I did this because I noticed long ago that most "cream of..." soups are essentially the same: mirepoix, garlic, butter or bacon, perhaps a bouquet garni, chicken stock.

    ReplyDelete