Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Back in Production

Around August, our chickens went through a hard moult.  It lasted around 3 months and we were getting around 3 eggs a week from our 20 chickens.  Then the short days kicked in and we stopped getting eggs all together.  Adding a light to the coop didn't help.

I was starting to doubt that they'd ever start laying again when Limey brought me a little surprise.


Yay!  What's even cooler is that this is our first buff orpington egg.  The roos are starting to get frisky and when the layers really get into laying we can start incubating them!  Once I've topped up my flock I'll be selling buffs.

7 comments:

  1. and I'll be buying buffs :) We are just now getting eight eggs all of the sudden from our 18 hens. It happened in the last two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to get our incubator working. I think I'm going to rip the wafer out and replace it with a light bulb on a thermostat. Can't wait to start hatching chicks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! All the Orpingtons are starting at the same time! My Lavender started Sunday and Candy's Buffs over at the Lazy J Bar C Farm started Sunday too! Maybe it's the specific amount of daylight or something cosmic. It's like a switch went on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lequille wont have chicks til may... :( when will you have some for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to get lavs since we moved here but it's so expensive to have the eggs shipped here.

    If all goes well it won't be until the middle of April, beginning of May before chicks are hatched here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay .. my girls finally started laying last week.. they should have in early dec but i figured with the days etc being short it messed them up ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, I have just been looking for information approximately this subject for
    ages and yours is the best I've came upon so far. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you certain about the source?

    Here is my blog; http://multihop.tv/

    ReplyDelete