Because I've been feeling this way, fancy meals have not been on the agenda. Seriously, I look in the fridge and go "blaaaaaaaaaaah". This is repeated a dozen times before I decide what to slap together.
Luckily, it's that time of the year when one-pot meals that last all week are greeted with enthusiasm. One such meal is chilli. I've been making chilli for at least a decade now but it's only been the last couple of years that it's been really, really good. Ever since I found this recipe.
I've put my notes in red.
Best Chilli Ever
- 2 teaspoons oil I use butter or lard.
- 2 onions , chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any colour, diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ¾ lb beef sirloin , cubed I add this but will thicken with TVP if needed.
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can diced tomatoes usually use two
- 1 can dark beer use it if I have it
- 1 cup strong coffee use it if it's already brewing
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 can beef broth homemade is preferable
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 ½ tablespoons chilli sauce I use the garlic chilli stuff in the ethnic foods aisle.
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cocoa Do not omit. I usually use two but start with one.
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne I omit this. Dd1 hates anything spicy so I keep hot sauce on the table for the more adventurous eaters.
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans I fill my crockpot up halfway with dried beans. Cook then add to the chilli pot.
- 4 chili peppers, chopped I omit.
salt/pepper to taste
It's one pot so pretty easy to put together. I saute onions, garlic and peppers for a couple of minutes and then add the meat.
Add salt and pepper and cook meat until not longer pink.
Add everything else. Let simmer forever or until you are ready to eat. If it's turns out too watery, you can add more ground beef or veg. I keep TVP (textured vegetable protein) on hand for this very issue. Dump some in and let it cook another 30 minutes.
Serve with grated cheddar, sour cream and toast.