Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chilly Enough For Chilli

I don't know if it's from the diminished sunshine, the biweekly viruses that have been taking up residence in my house or my son who insists on nursing all night long.  Whatever it is, I've been feeling blah for the past six months.  Really freakin blah.

Because I've been feeling this way, fancy meals have not been on the agenda.  Seriously, I look in the fridge and go "blaaaaaaaaaaah".  This is repeated a dozen times before I decide what to slap together.

Luckily, it's that time of the year when one-pot meals that last all week are greeted with enthusiasm.  One such meal is chilli.  I've been making chilli for at least a decade now but it's only been the last couple of years that it's been really, really good.  Ever since I found this recipe.




I've put my notes in red.

Best Chilli Ever


  • teaspoons oil I use butter or lard.
  • 2 onions , chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, any colour, diced
  • cloves garlic , minced
  • lb lean ground beef
  • ¾ lb beef sirloin , cubed I add this but will thicken with TVP if needed.
  • 1 (14 ½ ounce) can diced tomatoes usually use two 
  • can dark beer use it if I have it
  • cup strong coffee use it if it's already brewing
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
  • can beef broth homemade is preferable
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 3 ½ tablespoons chilli sauce I use the garlic chilli stuff in the ethnic foods aisle.
  • tablespoon cumin
  • tablespoon cocoa  Do not omit.  I usually use two but start with one.  
  • teaspoon oregano
  • teaspoon cayenne I omit this.  Dd1 hates anything spicy so I  keep hot sauce on the table for the more adventurous eaters.
  • teaspoon coriander
  • teaspoon salt
  • 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans I fill my crockpot up halfway with dried beans.  Cook then add to the chilli pot.
  • 4 chili peppers, chopped I omit.
salt/pepper to taste

Instructions.

It's one pot so pretty easy to put together.  I saute onions, garlic and peppers for a couple of minutes and then add the meat. 

Add salt and pepper and cook meat until not longer pink.  

Add everything else.  Let simmer forever or until you are ready to eat.  If it's turns out too watery, you can add more ground beef or veg.  I keep TVP (textured vegetable protein) on hand for this very issue.  Dump some in and let it cook another 30 minutes. 

Serve with grated cheddar, sour cream and toast. 



14 comments:

  1. Beer, cocoa, coffee? Weird chili recipe but I trust you! Maybe you'll feel better when we get more sunshine. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't always put the beer and coffee in but I never pass on the cocoa. Cocoa is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the article you write.
    The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

    my page; just click the following page

    ReplyDelete
  4. This paragraph will assist the internet visitors for building
    up new blog or even a weblog from start to end.


    my homepage; email templates html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attractive component to content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to
    assert that I get in fact loved account your weblog posts.
    Anyway I'll be subscribing in your augment or even I achievement you access persistently quickly.

    my blog; email wedding invitation templates

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visited many blogs however the audio quality for audio songs existing at this web
    page is in fact wonderful.

    Feel free to visit my page :: email announcement templates []

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with valuable information to work on. You have done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

    My blog elaboration

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like
    yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% certain.
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

    Also visit my site: email stationery templates

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Many thanks, However I am encountering issues with your RSS.
    I don't understand why I can't join it. Is there anybody else
    getting similar RSS problems? Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond?

    Thanks!!

    Feel free to visit my web site ... magento email templates

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's up all, here every one is sharing such know-how, therefore it's
    pleasant to read this webpage, and I used to go to see this
    weblog everyday.

    Also visit my web page :: email wedding invitation templates ()

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
    I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Thanks!

    Feel free to visit my web blog professional email templates

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been surfing online greater than three hours today, yet I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It's lovely
    worth enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made good content
    as you probably did, the net will be a lot more
    helpful than ever before.

    Here is my webpage :: Holiday email Templates

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will immediately seize your rss as I can not to find
    your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service.
    Do you've any? Please permit me recognise in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

    my blog - Html email Newsletter templates

    ReplyDelete