It's looking pretty decent. The snow is almost melted and the bugs are starting to wake up.
It's funny, back in Ontario winters would last 6 months and I'd be going crazy by the end of it. Here, winter has really only been around for 2 months and I'm already at my limit. Bring on spring already!
The soil in the hoophouse is unfrozen. Limey went in there to clean out so we can plant in a couple of weeks. He found a gruesome stash of bird parts back in the corner. No wonder Tootsie has been shunning mice all winter. He's been dining on a higher class of prey.
We have quite a bit to do as the weather warms up. Here's my list so far.
- fix hoophouse door and replace broken window
- move rabbits back outside
- clean barn
- remove all garbage such as windblown siding and the old rabbit hutches
- dig out paths and reshape the veg garden beds that we didn't do last year
- muck out the chicken coops
- fix fencing
- set up pig fence
- fix pig house
- move ducks, geese and turkey back to their paddock
- finish fixing broken house window
- clean out sunroom, set up grow lights
- order soil and distribute where needed
So, what do you think? Is winter almost over? Do you smell spring on the air?