Sunday, July 8, 2012

Like a Cheetah, Except Not


Saturday evening, dd1 thought it would be a good idea to stand on top of the baby gate "like a cheetah about to pounce" and promptly fell off, landing on her hands.  She immediately started screaming and ran up to me to show me her arm.  



You know that scene in one of the Harry Potter films where his arm bones get liquified?  It was kind of like that.  Her hand was limp and her wrist was sloped inwards like a tire had run over it and left a groove.

Limey was at work so I called a friend to pick us up.  When we got to the hospital, Limey was already waiting for us.  We were in and out pretty quickly. They gave her a splint and told us to come back in the morning for an x-ray and cast.

Zebra stripes.  I guess she's over cheetahs now.

She was in a bit of pain overnight but I think she slept better than Limey and I did.  I swear I have that image of her arm burned into my head for life.

The x-ray showed that she had two breaks, a clean one all the way through and another about half the way in.  The doctor had to set it a bit but not enough to require sedation.

We're going to have to take a drive into Kentville later this week to get a new cast put on and she'll be in it for about 4 weeks.   Summer in a cast.

6 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh poor little sweetheart..must have hurt like hell..bless her for being so brave...at least shes got a smile back on her face in photo...hope it heals real fast...made tears come to my eyes looking at her arm :( give her a big hug n kiss from me....mom/grandma xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe the cheetah skirt shes wearing gave her the idea...lol xxxx mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think that's all that left of the Cheetah we she finished with him!

      Delete
    2. Ha! She totally would gut and skin a cheetah to make a skirt.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! Poor little arm,hope the weeks go by quickly,casts can be aggravating!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's doing good. She got a new pink cast on Wednesday and has to go back in three weeks for another xray. Hopefully that will be it.

    ReplyDelete